On 08/13/2012 08:07 AM, Maxwell Smart wrote:

On 08/13/2012 07:56 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
On 08/12/2012 08:56 PM, Cecil Yother, Jr. wrote:

On 8/12/12 8:29 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
On 08/12/2012 08:05 PM, Maxwell Smart wrote:

On 08/12/2012 02:46 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
On 08/12/2012 02:20 PM, Maxwell Smart wrote:
Can I use a non standard ftp for qtp-backup?

CJ

Define "a non standard ftp".

My bad, non standard port.  3121

--

FTP uses 2 ports.

OK, but doesn't port 20 accept transfers after your initial connection?
and not otherwise?

That depends on the arrangement the server makes with the client,
which depends (IIRC) on whether active or passive mode is used.

I am using passive ports
Are you having difficulty getting FTP to work? Why do I get the
feeling that this has more to do with FTP than the subject line? ;)
No it's working, but it actually didn't send the backup by ftp last
night.  Not sure I setup the correct config file.  It appears both are
the same, but not sure how it works.

qtp-backup uses the curl command for transferring the backup to an ftp
server:
# tail $(which qtp-backup)
Of course it sets those $variables all up before invoking the command.
You might want to echo the values of the command before the command is
invoked, so you can see their values. Or you could "set -x" in the
qtp-backup script in order to step through what it does, or run it
with "bash -n" to see what it does without actually running it.

I set all the variables
Does curl work outside of qtp-backup?

It's installed,  but haven't tested functionality.

curl 7.15.5 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.15.5 OpenSSL/0.9.8b
zlib/1.2.3 libidn/0.6.5
Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

Please test curl using a suitable command.

I expect that there's likely a firewall issue somewhere.

Are both hosts (ftp client and ftp server) on public addresses, or is there NAT going on on either end?

Do you have control of the FTP server? If so, which software is being used?

Here's a nice explanation which I expect will be helpful:
http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html