 From: Eric Shubert <e...@shubes.net>
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Sent: Sunday, 10 March 2013, 22:23:42
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: How to use qmail toaster as a Mail Filter Layer

On 03/10/2013 07:30 AM, Eric Broch wrote:

> On 3/10/2013 1:46 AM, Am Am wrote:

>> Hi,

>> We are using an old customized qmail but receiving too many spam

>> messages recently, I hope to find a way to use a Mail Filter Layer

>> with qmailtoaster with spamdyke and other spam filtering services.

>> Thnaks

> Point all incoming mail from your firewall to the new qmail filter layer

> server and add the proper setting in it's /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

> file. Something like:

> mydomain.com:X.X.X.X where X.X.X.X is the ip of your customized qmail server

> Make sure your rcpthosts file doesn't have mydomain.com in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you *do* want mydomain.com in the
rcpthosts file for both servers. If you didn't have mydomain.com in your
filtering server, the only way it could receive email is from authenticated
connections. No?

> http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/Smtproutes

Am, while a separate filtering host is possible, I wouldn't go that route. A
somewhat unusual aspect of spamdyke is that it will actually *reduce* the load
on your qmail host, so adding more processing capacity would be a waste.
Spamdyke integrates rather seamlessly with qmail, and should easily work with
any ol' version/configuration of qmail.

You could even give the qtp-install-spamdyke script a try. (Note, many other
tools in the qmailtoaster-plus package will work with non-QMT hosts as well).
The only thing you'll likely need to adjust a bit is the run file for
qmail-smtpd, presuming your qmail configuration uses supervise and ucspi-tcp
which most do. Even if you use xinetd though, spamdyke can be used directly on
your qmail host.

If you have a run file, you can post it here and we'll help you get it fitted
for spamdyke.

-- -Eric 'shubes'