At 01:57 PM 5/3/2013, you wrote:
On 05/03/2013 10:14 AM, Cecil Yother, Jr. wrote:
On 05/03/2013 10:11 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
On 05/03/2013 07:58 AM, cj yother wrote:
On 05/02/2013 10:22 PM, Myers, Jon W wrote:
this is probably yet another thing for the vpopmail list, but I'm
not on that list yet...
I've setup /home/vpopmail/etc/defaultdomain to contain my main
domain name.  Users can SOMETIMES login with just their username
(tested from android phones, and squirrelmail).  But the results
(without changing any settings, usernames, or passwords) are
inconsistent.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  I know I can get a plugin
for squirrelmail (vlogin) that helps with this, but its not going to
help the email app thats pre-installed on android phones.

Of course this worked fine on my old vpopmail 5.0 server, but is now
sporadic on the new vpopmail 5.4.33 powered qmail toaster.

Isn't authentication handled by courier?

--

Not directly. Courier (and dovecot) hand the actual authentication off
to vpopmail, as does qmail-smtpd for submissions. Courier no longer

My answer to Jon's question is, I don't know. There, I said it.
I had used QMT for a couple years before I even knew there was such a
thing as defaultdomain for logins. I just got used to using the whole
email address, although it did feel a little goofy at first. I still
haven't found a client app which tries or gets that right for the
account name. :(
OK, so I guess the question is does it only use FQDN or does it have
some relationship with the IP?

They use localhost (127.0.0.1).

This is still a random issue. I'm thinking of just whacking on the source for imap, looking for where it reads in the username from the socket within the imap protocol, and insert a default domain if it doesn't contain an @ sign. As an alternative, should I switch to Dovecot, or is that just another can of worms? vpopmail SHOULD be appending the domain, but isnt. So maybe I should whack on that sourcecode? I just figured it'd be easier to find in the first program thats reading from the raw socket, rather than trying to intercept the handoff to vpopmail. Or maybe look for something in the vpopmail code that randomly checks the defaultdomain file, and make it always check it... as if it were THAT silly. =)

we HAD two mail servers, one for our main site, and another for all the domains we hosted. Well, we rolled the main domain into the existing (newest) server. So we have active email accounts that are 20 years old, and lots of people still sticking to just typing in their usernames. Telling them all to change is tricky, as well as getting their pref files converted in squirrelmail, but thats a script I'm working on now anyway.