Gilbert:

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't looked at options for resolv.conf in probably 10 years now!
Although I even restarted my named service, I still don't see a difference.
Never the less, by enabling both single-request-reopen and edns0, I have resolved a long-awaiting-resolution problem of some DNS servers sending responses my server didn't like.

Some progress still.... thanks for the suggestion!

Dan