Assuming a "stock" QMail Toaster install, your problem is with those giant mailboxes & the default "courier IMAP" that the toaster comes with. While the project as a whole will be jumping to DoveCot soon, you're going to need to jump the shark a bit early. Courier IMAP has many known issues (including corruption, not just slowness) with large mailboxes (over 2GB, much less 10GB!)... DoveCot has a much better reputation for these circumstances.

There is a WIKI article for switching to DoveCot: _*http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/Replacing_Courier_IMAP_with_Dovecot_IMAP*_

I hope this helps!

Dan
IT4SOHO