It is /possible /that this is a squirrelmail problem, it is MORE likely that a login error is an IMAP error. Even MORE likely given thats what you changed :).

Try to connect to your server with an IMAP client (like Thunderbird)... my guess is that it won't work -- you need to make Dovecot use your vpopmail MySQL databases, but by default it uses Linux usernames & passwords.

Dan McAllister