I can't argue with the point about replacing your resolver if it handles an anomaly better -- but IME, BIND handles "oddities" far better than PDNS.

I still say:
- If you're a newbie, or just want it to work "hands off, out of the box" then pdns-resolver will not steer you wrong -- it's a good product! - If you're experienced with BIND, or want to learn DNS (or have some odd DNS requirements), then BIND is the "definitive" DNS server (and one of the most efficient caching-resolvers out there)

But I will add (as a final comment) that CNAME lookup failures are USUALLY that the CNAME points to something that doesn't resolve.

   mail.qmailtoaster.com    CNAME mailsterver.qmailtoaster.com
   mailserver.qmailtoaster.com    IN A    1.1.1.1

See the break? (mailsterver is not mailserver)...
This will get you a CNAME lookup failure message...

Hope this helps!

Dan
IT4SOHO