A "proper" RDNS entry is a hostname.

Some ISPs insert "dummy" RDNS entries.... like a-b-c-d.provider.location.com. Actually, "some" should probably be "most" ISPs.

Because these are "generic" PTR records, they are treated as "no PTR" values by anti-SPAM settings.

The correct fix is therefore not white-listing - it is setting a proper PTR record -- usually SOMETHING that resolves in the other direction back to that same IP address.

E.g.:

   mail.qmailtoaster.com.     IN A    1.2.3.4
   4.3.2.1-inaddr.arpa.            IN PTR    mail.qmailtoaster.com.

Dan McAllister
IT4SOHO
QMT DNS/Mirror Admin