I think Amit's talking about outbound emails here. MX records only apply to inbound emails (from external domains).

There's no mechanism built-in that I know of which can do this.

It shouldn't be too difficult to write a script that does it though. The script would run periodically via cron. It would simply try to telnet to the smarthost, and if the connection fails, have it modify your smtproutes file appropriately, and restart qmail.