Dan,

I'm curious in this script you run every 15 minutes...

Is that something you can share?

Thanks,
Denny

>________________________________

        virus, email accounts passwords are stolen and caused massive
        spams from the server. Valuable time is wasted to delist our IP
        and to maintain a private list of  a virus database which till
        date 100+ virus are still not detected by clamav.

>>This server is housing about 600 users. We were not experience
        this issue since 4 months ago.  Anyone out there would like to
        share your experience fighting virus?

>>Thanks
>>nic
>>
>Nic:
>
>You'll need to look to your qmail-send logs to see the users who
      are sending messages that are failing. For virus infected systems,
      you'll see the messages going out to 20 or so addresses at a time,
      most of which will be invalid.

>Once you identify a hacked user, change their password &
      decline to give them the new password until they can demonstrate
      that they've run a full virus scan on their system.

>It is because of issues like this that I keep a 15-minute timer on
      my larger mail systems... every 15 minutes, I count how many
      failed messages there have been so far today. When the value
      reaches 100, I look into it and usually find ONE USER who is
      responsible for the vast majority of them, and I immediately
      suspend that user as described above (I just change the password).

>The problems with your idea of resting on clamav for virus
      protection includes:
> 1) you're assuming clamav is scanning messages from your users --
      which in a stock QMT, it is not. It only scans messages coming in
      on port 25 received without authentication (e.g. inbound mail, not
      outbound mail);
> 2) you're assuming virus infections are spreading as attachments
      -- usually they are nothing but links... which usually get opened
      and infect clients because stupid, lazy users keep their mail
      clients set to having a preview pane and to showing html content
      always... thus, the swear they didn't OPEN the infecting message
      -- but their preview pane sure did!
> 3) you're assuming you're being blacklisted because of SPAM or
      virus contents -- usually you hit the blacklists because you send
      SPAM to "honeypot" addresses, or you keep hitting sites over and
      over again with invalid addresses (considered fishing).

>So, if this started a few days ago, start by extracting the log
      files, one day at a time, for the past week.
> 1) use qmlog to scan ALL available logs (not just the "current"
      file
> 2) pipe the output of qmlog into grep and sort out all entries
      for the given day (e.g. | grep "^10-31")
> 3) put the results into a /tmp file (I would use /
> 4) use the [q]mtrack program I mentioned just earlier today to
      examine JUST THAT FILE, and look for messages that have multiple
      recipients.

>I hope this points you in the right direction...
>
>Dan
>IT4SOHO
>QMT DNS/Mirror Admin
>

>--  PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF OUR NEW ADDRESS
IT4SOHO, LLC
33 - 4th Street N, Suite 211
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-3806 CALL TOLL FREE: 877-IT4SOHO 877-484-7646 Phone
727-647-7646 Local
727-490-4394 Fax  We have support plans for QMail!