Eric Shubert wrote:
> I honestly don't understand fail2ban in any detail. I wonder though, if
> perhaps it's set up such that if someone's authentication fails, then it
> changes iptables such that nobody can attempt to authenticate any more
> (like blocking port 587 for any address). That'd be pretty bad. :(

If you get a certain number of failed authentications from a particular IP
(usually 3 or 4), it will use iptables to ban that IP from connecting to
the port in question. So 'nobody' means 'nobody at that IP', not 'nobody
in the world'.

Incidentally, when I got tired of grinders trying to guess passwords on my
toaster, I banned a bunch of Chinese class C's (banning a surprisingly
small number took care of most of the attempts I was seeing) and added a
fail2ban filter that does an insta-kill (1 attempt is enough to invoke the
rule) on anything that tries to authenticate with a username that doesn't
include a domain name. That's been pretty effective.

Angus