Kelly:

Absolutely fine for mail.example.com (DNS and PTR agree) to serve as mail server for multiple domains.

Only real issues arise when you want to use SSL -- either pay out the nose for a generic cert, or have all domains connect to your mail.example.com server and buy just the one certificate (the latter is what I do).

Whatever you decide to put into /var/qmail/control/me, just make sure its valid.
 - say you put "mailhost.example22.com" in there
- First, make sure that mailhost.example22.com resolves to that host's IP address (either directly or via NAT) [ for example: 10.10.10.10 ] - Second, contact your ISP and make sure the PTR record for your IP [ 10.10.10.10 ] resolves to mailhost.example22.com

When you think you're done, check out intodns.com and mxtoolbox.com -- both sites can help you resolve DNS issues that may affect your server.

Finally: IMPORTANT! Your QMT server does not have to be a DNS server too -- but is SHOULD resolve (recurse) queries itself. Not only do you gain efficiency for local resolution, but you also gain the presence of locally cached entries that will make your QMT much more efficient!

Good Luck!

Dan

PS: I host a mailserver (one of 5 these days) with over 200 domains! So, yes this works and is perfectly normal!