I came across a list entry the other day (a linked-in list I believe), where a mail admin said he set up a dummy MX entry as the highest priority MX for his domain as an anti-spam measure. I'm not sure I'd want to cause that sort of overhead to all the well behaved mail servers out there in order to catch a few spammers. These are likely the same sort of spammers that graylisting would catch. FWIW, I've quit using graylisting, as it wasn't worth the inconvenience to me. SamC (spamdyke author) feels the same way about graylisting, fwiw.

I commented on the post though, pointing out that many spammers intentionally target a secondary server (the highest?) in order to bypass some anti-spam filters, which sometimes aren't implemented on secondary MXs. This led me to thing about perhaps adding a dummy MX entry with the highest priority, figuring that may catch some spammers, as legit emails should never get to that point.

I should do some analysis of my secondary server, to determine how many if any spams get through there. Depending on the results, I might try a high-priority dummy MX record.

Anyone interesting in doing some research on this?

Thanks.