On 5/4/2014 11:36 PM, Chandran Manikandan wrote:
Dear All,
I have received such emails like below as generated from my domain and send to my domain. How to avoid this kind of emails. It's generated from my domain name but it's does not have this email account in my domain.

*

*From:*panasiagroup....@panasiagroup.net <mailto:panasiagroup....@panasiagroup.net> [mailto:panasiagroup....@panasiagroup.net]
*Sent:* Friday, 2 May, 2014 3:54 PM
*Subject:* Financial Management ICV Information Session

--
*Thanks,*
*Manikandan.C*
*System Administrator*

OK, two possibilities here:
a) the emails are coming from an external server (see log files or the message header) -- in which case, implementing SPF would seem to be sufficient to repair; or b) the emails are coming from an internal source (in which case, SPF will not help). How could they be coming from inside your server? Once a user is authenticated to the SMTP server (qmail-smtp or spamdyke), the system will take messages from virtually ANY user address -- including addresses that are not local and/or are not valid.

   User A connects on port 587, authenticates as us...@domain.com
   User A delivers a message with a FROM label of: presid...@usa.gov
   (or some other bullshit address) and TO labels for 100 of your
   nearest and closest friends
   QMail queues them up and sends them -- even though usa.gov might not
   even exist, much less be serviced by your server

While initially this may be seen as a flaw, Eric has correctly pointed out that this "feature" also helps QMT function as a smart-host.

Look in your SMTP/Submission logs for instances where the login name/domain don't match the FROM address...

Dan McAllister

--
IT4SOHO, LLC
33 - 4th Street N, Suite 211