From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:51 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Email ID Auth Problem

On 07/16/2014 02:48 AM, Linux wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I am using email ID as "*r&d...@xxxxxxxx.com <mailto:r&d...@xxxxxxxx.com>*"
> for the last 1yr.
>
> Today suddenly i cannot be able to login through this ID. Getting error
> "Login Failed".
>
> Kindly let us know the possible reasons.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vivek

The & character is, let's call it 'sensitive', as it has special meaning
in some contexts. I suppose it's allowed, though it may need special
treatment is some cases. I also wouldn't be surprised if some clients
have trouble with it.

My first guess, all other things being equal, is that the account was
cracked and the password changed. You should be able to
# /home/vpopmail/bin/vuserinfo 'r&d...@xxxxxxxx.com'
to see the password. You probably should use the vchangepw command to
change the password.

Note: I expect in some future QMT version you'll only be able to change
the password, and not examine it in clear text, as it won't be stored in
clear text. While I admit that being able to see the password is
convenient at times, it's simply not secure, regardless of who can see
it and who can't. Security (as freedom) isn't free, and this is one
price we pay.

If that doesn't help you resolve the issue, please give more details.