Thanks Finn, the change of the softlimit in /var/qmail/supervise/submission/run
to 100000000 did part of the trick for me...

The next problem was a new squirrelmail error message:

"451 mail server temporarily rejected message (#4.3.0)"

A quick search in the forum gave me the idea to upgrade the qmailtoaster clamav
from 0.98.4 to 0.98.5

I had to edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/qmailtoaster-nodist.repo

disabled from 1 to 0 in the [qmailtoaster-current]

and

enabled from 0 to 1 in the
[qmailtoaster-testing].

Did a yum clean all

Then did a

yum upgrade
http://mirror3.qmailtoaster.com/testing/CentOS/6/x86_64/clamav-0.98.5-0.qt.el6.x86_64.rpm

Which made sending email finally work!

I decided to upgrade spamassassin and qmailadmin the same way too via testing.

Thank you again Finn.

I will get back to helping test qmail toaster on centos 6 more.

Best wishes,
Edwin