Actually, I think your prior experience (on what made it work) points us in another direction. Specifically, you said making the password change in qmailadmin worked everywhere BUT Dovecot, and restarting Dovecot made it work there too... This would leave me to believe that Dovecot is caching passwords from the MySQL database, and probably has to be told to stop doing so.

Just my thoughts -- I had trouble with Dovecot on a large heavy-use server and switched back to courier, so I don't use dovecot myself.

Dan McAllister