Chandran,

Use 'doveconf -n' (NOT 'doveconf -d') which will show all the settings
with NON-DEFAULT values.

Dovecot operates off of the configuration files. You do NOT, or most
likely shouldn't, have to reinstall Dovecot.

I'll bet that when you run 'doveconf -n' you'll most likely see the
current setting from local.conf.

Eric