Still working on the segfault problem; got dozens of them overnight when I
definitely wasn’t using any services. softlimit in
/var/qmail/supervise/submission/run is at 500 megs and rising, but I’m still
having trouble believing it needs to be that high or higher.

While I continue to push that: is there any way to know what process chain is
invoking the vchkpw process that’s segfaulting? Don’t a number of different
processes use it? I don’t know for a fact that submission is the one that’s
causing it. I can’t find any other clues in my logs, like events happening at
the same time as the segfaults, but are there any other possible culprits that
might invoke vchkpw without enough RAM to do whatever it’s trying to do?

--
Steve Linberg, Chief Goblin
Silicon Goblin Technologies