The CORRECT way to do this is to create the .qmail-default file with an entry
that says:

|   /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail   ‘’   delete

NOTE: Extra spaces added for readability on “variable width font” readers :)

You will find the DEFAULT entry says “bounce-no-mailbox” where I have delete
above.

I haven’t been following this thread, but I assume you were using an email
address instead of “bounce-no-mailbox” to create your catchall account?

If not, that would be the appropriate way to do so.

Now I can’t just reply to HOW without adding my 2-cents worth as to why I think
“bounce-no-mailbox” is the WORST of the options:

-          It allows spammers to “mine” your domain for “good” email addresses
(which then get sold!)… how? Send a note to a...@yourdomain.com
<mailto:a...@yourdomain.com> , b...@yourdomain.com <mailto:b...@yourdomain.com>
, etc. For each one that does NOT get a bounceback, you have a good address!
SPAM IT!

-          Once your domain is “mature” (been around a few years), your
“catchall” account will get thousands of emails a day – from spammers trying to
mine your domain!

That means (to me, anyway) that you should DEFAULT to a “delete” policy… if
they send to a bad email address… oh well, I guess they won’t get a reply! When
they CHECK with the recipient, they’ll be able to figure it out. But in the
few, rare instances where there needs to be SOMETHING done with badly addressed
messages, a catchall account is superior to a “bounce-no-mailbox” option.

Those opinions are MINE. Feel free to share in them or oppose them – but their
only value is the time you have invested in reading them, so treat accordingly.

Have a great day all!

Dan McAllister

IT4SOHO

QMT DNS Admin (or at least I WAS!)