Dan,

This is from the DMARC website (https://dmarc.org/wiki/FAQ#How_does_DMARC_work.2C_briefly.2C_and_in_non-technical_terms.3F):

"How does DMARC work, briefly, and in non-technical terms?"

"A DMARC policy allows a sender to indicate that their messages are protected by SPF and/or DKIM, and tells a receiver what to do if neither of those authentication methods passes – such as junk or reject the message. DMARC removes guesswork from the receiver’s handling of these failed messages, limiting or eliminating the user’s exposure to potentially fraudulent & harmful messages. DMARC also provides a way for the email receiver to report back to the sender about messages that pass and/or fail DMARC evaluation."

And:

"Why is DMARC needed?"

"End users and companies all suffer from the high volume of spam and phishing on the Internet. Over the years several methods have been introduced to try and identify when mail from (for example) IRS.GOV really is, or really isn’t coming from the IRS. However:

    These mechanisms all work in isolation from each other
    Each receiver makes unique decisions about how to evaluate the results
    The legitimate domain owner (e.g. IRS) never gets any feedback

DMARC attempts to address this by providing coordinated, tested methods for:

    Domain owners to:
        Signal that they are using email authentication (SPF, DKIM)
Provide an email address to gather feedback about messages using their domain – legitimate or not A policy to apply to messages that fail authentication (report, quarantine, reject)

    Email receivers to:
        Be certain a given sending domain is using email authentication
Consistently evaluate SPF and DKIM along with what the end user sees in their inbox Determine the domain owner’s preference (report, quarantine or reject) for messages that do not pass authentication checks Provide the domain owner with feedback about messages using their domain

A domain owner who has deployed email authentication can begin using DMARC in “monitor mode” to collect data from participating receivers. As the data shows that their legitimate traffic is passing authentication checks, they can change their policy to request that failing messages be quarantined. As they grow confident that no legitimate messages are being incorrectly quarantined, they can move to a 'reject' policy."

It seems to me that the DMARC website indicates that not only is feedback provided for but a message policy (report, quarantine, reject) for failed authentication.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Eric