I'm finalizing a new CentOS 8 install, built using an ansible role based on Eric's install instructions.

The role sources the qmailtoaster packages from Eric's collection including squirrelmail. The squirrelmail version installed is 1.4.22.-3.qt.el8. It's running on PHP 7.4.3.

In the Inbox list view, some messages are displayed without anything in the Subject column (and in some cases, the From column as well). It turns out that these messages have an encoded 'Subject' (or 'From') header, e.g. something that begins with "=?utf-8?Q? ...." and it looks as if 'htmlspecialcharacters' in '/usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/i18n.php' is returning an empty string for these items.

This is apparently a known issue with this version of Squirrelmail, which is not-quite-the-latest version. I tried some suggested fixes, but they didn't work for me.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and, if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks,

Angus