I'm seeing intermittent bounces from an address on one of the domains
hosted on my CentOS 8/QMT server.

The address in question is 'info@', which is handled by the file
'.qmail-info' for that domain. The contents of that file look like:

  /home/vpopmail/domains/ratherlongdomainname.co.uk/someuser/Maildir/

(obviously 'ratherlongdomainname' and 'someuser' are substitutions and
not the actual values).

Mail sent to that address intermittently bounces back with a 'User over
quota' message. The targeted 'someuser' account has NOQUOTA set.

As far as I can see, this is the only domain where this issue currently
occurs (it did occur with another domain a few months back, but I
resolved the issue -- it seemed to be due to ownership issues with some
of dovecot's cache files -- and it hasn't re-occurred).

After some investigation, I found that it seems to be linked to the
'someuser/Maildir/maildirsize' file created by dovecot. The current
contents of that file are:

  0S
  0 0

Permissions and ownership of the file seem to be correct (owned by
'vpopmail:vchkpw', 'rw' access for owner only).

As long as that file is in place, this address -- and any other address
whose .qmail-* file contains the same path -- becomes undeliverable. If
I delete the file, deliveries start working again.

Has anyone seen this issue or found a fix? And does anyone have any idea
what could be causing the corruption (if that's what it is) to occur?
Could dovecot be 'sensitive' to particular mail clients, or to the
unusual length (28 characters) of the domain name in question?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Angus