From: Fabio Mecchia [mailto:ktf4...@gmail.com]
Sent: 27 de janeiro de 2022 10:16
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Weird problem on pop3 connection

Hi everyone,

 I have been having a weird problem connecting pop 3 to my corporate server
from Outlook and Thunderbird for about two weeks.

When the client tries to connect to the server, I got this error message "-ERR
[AUTH] Unsupported authentication method" and in the Dovecot logs I found
errors like "pop3-login: Info: Disconnected (tried to use unsupported auth
mechanism): user=<x...@xxxxxx.it>, method=USER, rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, TLS, session=<bXG42jTVxNtc3/SS>

" .
The strange thing is that the same client checks multiple boxes on the same
domain and not all of them give an error, also the error occurs randomly, maybe
for half a day it is impossible to download the mail and then suddenly it works
for a couple of hours.
Using the imap protocol there are no problems.
When the clients manage to connect I find this in the Dovecot logs "pop3-login:
Info: Login: user=<x...@xxxxxx.it>, method=DIGEST-MD5, rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, mpid=5510, TLS, session=<+0htGDnVWPdc3/SS>", I don't know
why on the same client without changing anything the method switch from USER to
DIGEST-MD5

The server is up to date, dovecot version is 2.3.11.3

Any suggestions are welcome

Fabio Mecchia

Mail priva di virus.
 www.avg.com