# qmailctl stop

# touch /var/qmail/supervise/smtps/log/down

# touch /var/qmail/supervise/smtps/down

# qmailctl start

# qmailctl stat

But, if they've hacked smtps then they've also hacked submission; right?

On 11/1/2022 1:10 PM, Peter Peltonen wrote:
Hi,

I had an email account password guessed through auth attempts via smtps.

I did not realize this as I had forgotten I had it enabled at all. I was looking at the submission log and scratching my head not understanding how messages got to the remote queue without anything in the submission log, until I realized smpts was enabled and it was logging to /var/log/maillog and not to any log under /var/log/qmail...

My first question: is it safe to disable smtps, I guess I don't need it for anything as all my users should be using 587/submission instead?

Second question: How do I disable it? Should I just remove /var/qmail/supervise/smtps/run file? And/or block it at firewall level?

Third question: to prevent brute force attacks, is fail2ban the best option to do it? I just follow the instructions at http://www.qmailtoaster.com/fail2ban.html ?

Best,
Peter