Where did you get the version of qmHandle you are running?

Try this version:  https://qtp.qmailtoaster.org/bin/qmHandle

Look at the lines

# For instance, this is if you have DJB's daemontools
#my ($stopqmail) = '/usr/local/bin/svc -d /service/qmail-send';
#my ($startqmail) = '/usr/local/bin/svc -u /service/qmail-send';

# While this is if you have a Debian GNU/Linux with its qmail package
my ($stopqmail) = '/etc/init.d/qmail stop';
my ($startqmail) = '/etc/init.d/qmail start';