We've used ramdisks to hold the qmail-queue and it did make a big difference in speed. Depending on the size of ram disk you could also consider including /var/log/qmail which also uses a lot of IO.  Although we backed up the ram disk before planned reboots we weren't particularly concerned if those two directories were accidentally wiped.

Jeff