Thats really helpful.
Yes the users leave messages on server, some mailboxes are 20 MB of size. Any ways,
my server hosts 15,000 users, and transactions are what I'll detect next time i m in
my office.
/var/spool/mail  and poptemp are on different HDDs both on the same controller.
Some poptemps as I saw happen to be around 20 MB, well thats sometimes and not
always, and on average it is 3 MB.

 We being ISP, no user runs pine, they are all internet users, connecting through
access servers.

Your system configuration suggest I should take serious actions on my server to
optimize it. Using RAID and some better and more powerful machine. Currently it is
Compaq Proliant 1600 and 256 MB RAM.

Warm Regards
Sadi

"Joel B. Laing" wrote:

> Muhammad SaDaTAnwar wrote:
> >
> > Thanks alot dear Joel B. Laing.
> > Is there any numerical relationship in finding out the disk I/O versus the
> > number of users accessing their e-mails, consider there is nothing else running
> > which might take disk resources?
>
> Not that I can think of. There are too many variables to consider. Do
> people leave mail on the server? How large are the spool files? How
> often do the users access mail?
>
> To give you an idea, my system hosts about 2000 users. We get around
> 45,000 transactions daily. Average spool file size is around 3
> megabytes.
>
> /var/mail is striped and mirrored across 4 10,000 rpm drives and two
> controllers (single ended ~40 mbs transfer). Poptemp is on a single
> 10,000 rpm drive. We do not use server mode as many users run pine.
> Qpopper 3.1.2.
>
> This setup hums along nicely.
>
> -Joel
begin:vcard
n:SaDaT;Muhammad Anwar
tel;fax:1-561-7600172
tel;home:92-21-4983197
tel;work:92-21-5879733
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://sadisuper.freehosting.net
org:Supernet PDS Limited;Internet Technologies
adr:;;E-14 Hassan Square Gulshan-e-Iqbal Block 13-A University Road.;Karachi;Sind;75300;Pakistan
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Systems Engineer Internet/Store & Forward Fax
note;quoted-printable:My Web site =3D http://sadisuper.freehosting.net ******=0D=0AAOLScreenName=3Dsadisuper   ******                            =0D=0AYahooMessangerID=3Dsadisuper   ******[EMAIL PROTECTED]  ********=0D=0AIC
QNumber&NickName=3D92776177 & sadisuper
fn:Muhammad SaDaT Anwar
end:vcard