> I would use the clear-text-password option with "ssl" or "tsl".
> (described on page 31 of the QPopper User-Guide)

Hmm... I like that idea better. However, since I have tls-support set to
alternate-port, that means I'll still have a port open on 110 that can't
do anything.

If I set the main port to 995, change tls-support to stls, and set the
clear-text-password to ssl, would that work? Or would the negotiation
process for SSL that normally takes place on port 110 break other
SSL-aware pop clients when they hit port 995 looking for a non-negotiable
pop3s connection? I guess I could just try it, but I won't be in front of
the box until tonight.

What's really needed here is a "alternate-port-only" value for the
tls-support option.