Hello all

I would like to introduce myself , I am sysadmin in Zambia , and
have been using qpopper for a few years now.

Unfortunately , over the past 2 days , I seem to be having a
problem with my mail server.  We are runing Slackware 7.1 ,
with sendmail 8.11.4 , procmail 3.22 and qpopper 4.0.3.

What we are seeing is that when sendmail tries to deliver
mail to all our users at once ( when we issue a blanket email
to our subscirbers  ), it will deliver half of the messages , and
then give up with the message

"timeout waiting for input from local during Draining Input"

Meanwhile , qpopper sessions for the mailboxes that have
NOT received the mailing yet begin to go into a "dead" state,
and do not allow anyone to login. These sessions cannot be killed,
and they increase as each person tries to pickup mail , until the
cpu load average reported by the system causes the MTA to
begin rejecting connections ( approximately 10 mins )

When the server gets to this state , it is nearly impossible to
list the files in the mail spool directories ( it is still possible to
move around the rest of the file system ).

Has anyone come across such a strange phonomenon , is it
a DOS attack  ?

I would appreciate any help offered.

Kindest regards

Jay Banda