At 02:57 PM 1/11/02, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 08:11, Jesus Cea Avion wrote:
> > > This timeout is not for message sent, but per "write" syscall.
> >
> > There is a problem, nevertheless: efficiency. If you do a "signal" and
> > two "alarm" per "write", your CPU usage will goes up. We should take
> > some experiments here to measure real impact.
> >
> > With a 512 "chunk" write buffer, for example, a megabyte email will
> > have, at least, 2048 "write" calls.
>
>How about wrapping the entire transaction, not the individual writes?
>That would mean only one alarm and signal call for the entire megabyte.

That happens. I made some changes which I think are in 4.04 which help
ensure that's the case. I run my server with SO_KEEPALIVE added as well,
which may help in this regard.
Daniel Senie                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com