On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Christopher Crowley wrote:

> > pop3  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/local/bin/popper4  popper4 -f
> > /path/to/qpop.config
> >
> > That all has to be on one line, of course.  Note also that the service
> > name (the first thing on the line) is pop3, not qpop3.
>
> Sorry, I should have been clear about that. The service's name on my
> config is qpop3 because I am testing it before I implement it. qpop3
> is a valid service in /etc/services set to port 8110.

Okay, that clears up the "qpop3" service name mystery.  Thanks.

> Hmm. I tried that previously, and I just tried it again to double
> check that I didn't make a mistake. When I insert the service name
> --popper4-- then HUP inetd, the server daemon does not respond:
>
> Connection refused
>
> But, when I remove that service name, it works just fine.

I'm not sure what you're calling a "service name" here.  The service name
is (normally) pop3 or in your experimental case qpop3.  In the example
inetd.conf line I gave you earlier I assumed the QPopper executable to be
"popper4" because if I rember correctly that's how you referred to it in
an earlier message.  In any case, the syntax of an entry for a
socket-based service in /etc/inet/inetd.conf is:

<service_name> <endpoint_type> <protocol> <wait_status> <uid>
<server_path> <server_arguments>

As always, that must be on one continuous line.

service_name:      pop3 (or qpop3 in your case)
endpoint_type:     stream
protocol:          tcp
wait_status:       wait
uid:               root
server_path:       /path/to/qpopper/executable
server_arguments:  popper4 -f /path/to/qpop.config

Therefore, assuming the executable is /usr/local/bin/popper4 and the
config file is /usr/local/etc/qpop.config:

pop3  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/local/bin/popper4  popper4 -f
/usr/local/etc/qpop.config

All on one line, of course.

--
Chip Old (Francis E. Old)             E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, BCPL Network Services        Phone:   410-887-6180