Hello everyone,

Please forgive me if this question has already been answered, and feel free
to point me to the appropriate place for that answer--I've searched the
newsgroups, the web, Qualcomm's site, and just about everywhere else, but
all I can find is the same *question* with no acceptable *answer*...so here
it goes.

I'm running Red Hat 7.0 and Qpopper 3.1.  I have disk quotas turned on for
my POP users.  Yesterday, I noticed that one user was getting an error
message in the maillog:

---snip---
mypopuser at mydomain.com (x.x.x.x): -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Unable to copy mail
spool file, quota exceeded (122)

This definitely caught my attention because I just finished writing a whole
utility to send warnings when quota soft limits are breached, and I should
receive a copy of the warnings.  I checked, and sure enough, the soft limit
was *almost* reached but not yet.  After searching the Net, it seems clear
that this has to do with Qpopper doing a chown while copying the mail spool
file, and I've learned that soft limit grace periods are [somehow!]
ignored.  Hence, the operation fails immediately instead of initiating a
grace period.  This is definitely unacceptable.  The only solutions I've
seen put forth are to turn off quotas or put the spool temp files in a
partition that is not under quota restrictions.  This is not entirely
unreasonable, but it is not possible right now in my setup.  Does *anybody*
have any other solution here, to get Qpopper/the OS to honor the grace
period during the pop operation?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  FYI,
upgrading Qpopper *may* be a possibility, but I'd rather not (won't bore
you with the details).

Many TIA,
Dan

Dan Yost         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Proverbs 1:7
                  http://tri8.com

Tri-8, Inc.             "Pro Christo et Regno"
820 S. Main, Suite 2000  Voice: 405.377.3888
Stillwater, OK  74074      FAX: 405.533.1136