From: Tim Tyler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 12:45 PM
To: Subscribers of Qpopper
Subject: qpopper 4.03 corruption?

Qpopper experts,
    We recently installed qpopper 4.03 back in December.  Since then we
have
had 4 occurrances where their mailbox in /var/spool/mail became corrupt
for
some reason.  We have configured qpopper to write the temporary pop file
a different directory structure (/var/spool/pop).  Given that we have
1500
active users, it seems to be working for the most part.  But
occassionally
some users with a quite a few megabytes of email will find that when
they
have their client configured to leave on server, their temporary pop
file
can't get written back to the mailbox file properly.  This has only
happened
4 times now, but it is raising a red flag for me.  Something is
corrupting
the mailbox file because if I 'vi' into the mailbox and resave (w!) the
file, the file becomes approximately 1/10 of its original size.  Its as
though the file thinks its much larger than it really is.  This is an
obvious corruption, but I don't know why.  It also appears to be a small
subset of the temp pop file which remains in the /var/spool/pop
directory.
  What might cause the mailbox file to become corrupted when the temp
pop
file tries to write itself back to the mailbox file?  Is there a compile
option that I might consider to minimize corruption?
  Note: we do use a quota, but not all incidences exceeded the quota.
Also,
we never had this problem with the old qpopper 2.0.

--
Tim Tyler
Network Manager - Beloit College