At 06:43 PM 2/7/02, RTS wrote:
>I have the following setup
>
>RedHat 7.2 server running xinet and qpopper 4.0.3
>
>with xinetd I have the following file
>
>service pop-3
>{
>         socket_type             = stream
>         protocol                = tcp
>         wait                    = no
>         user                    = root
>         log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
>         log_on_failure          += USERID

Remove USERID from both lines above, and try again. These cause XINETD to
run IDENT protocol, which is worthless and can cause excessive delays to
appear, before the connection even gets passed to qpopper.

>         server                  = /usr/local/sbin/qpopperd403
>         server_args             = -s
>         port                    = 110
>}
>
>The client has a linksys 4 port dsl router.
>
>If I put a real ip address in their machine checking email works great.
>
>If I use the linksys with 192.168.1.1 hooked to their computer then the
>dsl connection to the linksys it takes about 2 minutes to before it
>connects and authenticates.
>
>Any ideas on why the extreme time lag??
>
>Also I noticed the following in the log files:
>
>qpopperd403[14852]: (v4.0.3) Timeout (120 secs) during nw read from mrpllh
>at dsl.xxx.net (555.555.555.555)
>
>Thanks for the help.
>Randy

Daniel Senie                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com