ive.org> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Feb 12, 2002 at 10:33:15PM -0800

Well, by NOT offering that, getting passwords is as simple
as sniffing the net.  And that's just easier to do.

No, at this point a dedicated POP server can be made Secure
Enough (I'd never say Unbreakable).  This means, of course,
only administrative access to the machine and doing security
Best Practices.  Furthermore, the tokens should not be stored
in plain text by the program somewhere but rather encrypted
in a way that the popper server can get the plain text out of
it.  Most of the SASL methods I've looked at do this.

Evil hacker breaks onto the machine, gets a file of shared keys
that is a binary mush.  S/he then must break that or find the
keys used from the crypto binary.

Frankly, once on the machine, wiring in a sniffer is less effort.

APOP is enough for ISPs. Esp when the alternative for serving
500 concurrent connections means rolling out several machines
to handle the TLS negotiation.

KPOP anyone?

Quoting Ted Cabeen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):