Dear Randell,
I see that it's possible to get outlook express to log POP3 sessions
I will get one of our clients to do so and see if we can pin down the error.
Interestingly the error is mainly with users using the local telephone
companies ADSL system
and not with users connecting directly with the system. So it does seem a
time out problem.

Thanks for the advice

Simon