At 10:41 AM +0100 3/26/02, Nico De Ranter wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just upgraded my pop server to 4.0.3. However some of my
>users (all are using Netscape on Windows as mail client) get
>a popup window stating:
>
>[SYS/TEMP] Unable to open Bulletin database; contact your administrator
>
>Unfortunately I'm the administrator :-(.  Any idea how
>to resolve this problem. I checked the bulletin database directory,
>it's readable by everybody.  Should I somehow initialize the bulletin
>database?

The Administrator's Guide and the FAQ have some additional
information about this.  The problem is that each session needs to
lock the bulletin database.  The Guide talks about how to make sure
Qpopper waits for a fraction of a second between retries, which alone
makes it more likely to succeed, and also how to tweak various
settings related to bulletin database access.