On Friday 29 March 2002 11:57 am, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> /usr/share/sendmail/README (BSD) contains the instructions for m4
> files.  You will find your systems' .m4 file under there.
>

> If that's too icky for your and/or you want a happy GUI, webmin
> will do adequately for light weight work, Sendmail Inc's Switch
> product is a more detailed MTA management tool.

the mc files contained in there are the default mc files - there is no
relaying (except from the local host) turned on by default - although I know
longer use OSX , I still have a mail server running on OSXserver (original
version) and like wise have aseveral RedHat boxen - the mc file must be
altered to enable features, the way you are telling this, one would be lead
to believe this isn't so.

the typical mc file contains:
divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-linux.mc,v 8.1 1999/09/24 22:48:05 gshapiro Exp $')
OSTYPE(linux)dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

while a full featured mail server would contain a list of "features" to
enable - those features come with certain caveates attached to them that he
and anyone else running a mail server should know about. If he doesn't read
the info, how will he know which features he needs to implement and which
ones he doesn't?

as per the car analogy goes, I wouldn't liken reading the base info to being
able to rebuild the top half of an engine ( not that hard really, I once
dropped the bottom out of a 911 in a Berkley parking lot and replaced the
crank bearings)- I would liken it to knowing how to check the oil and add if
necessary.

Off topic, can you now compile sendmail on OSX client without getting error
messages? I know it can compile, i have done it, just curious if it actually
does so without error messages arising.
--
 Robert Brandtjen