Actually, storing messages in databases is provably not scalable.
Unless that database is perhaps a file system.

RDBMS's typically don't handle data that varies from 50 bytes to
several megabytes.  They MIGHT do okay at pointers, but there is
no RDBMS that is as fast as Sleepycat DB v4.  RDBMS is tuned for
entirely different uses that a mail server would need.

Changes require new delivery methods and dedicated access methods.
POP doesn't cut if for me for that.

Other ways to do it?  IMAP servers.  It's an open protocol that
lets you maintain a variety of state flags about the message,
move messages around into folders and lets you keep the messages
on the server for location independant mail reading.

Did I say it's Open?  I use Mutt and Mozilla and Mulberry and
Evolution to access it.  Outlook can do it.

And I've used ones that scale massively (a tad more than the 800
or so that an Exchange box can handle - or, folks are learning with
slightly more scalable Exchange 2000 that the machines that they
can reclaim from Exchange service are now needed for ActiveDirectory.
Ooops.)

But the qpopper advantage is that I can use POP, or tools that
manage a System 7 mailbox.

Quoting Gregory Hicks ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):