On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Simon Byrnand wrote:

> I checked out courier-imap a while ago and as far as I could see, it didn't
> support unix mail spool format mailboxes... (eg all messages in one file)

You're right, it doesn't.

Courier is maildir based, which with large mailboxes is a big
performance gain - especially if a journalling btree-based filesystem
such as Reiserfs is used. (Reiserfs should be a massive win on nntp
spools and in mqueue partitions. It's stable, but has some hardware
gotchas which need to be watched out for on IDE systems - if your system
disables DMA on a piix3 controller, LEAVE IT DISABLED - DMA is hosed on
the early piix* chipsets and DMA write errors will result in effectively
complete filesystem trashing.)

Cyrus (another Imap/pop solution) goes one step further and uses a
(effectively proprietary) database format with its own MDA

Yes, if you're going to go down this path, you need to stop people using
local-spool-reading clients and nfs mounts, but the performance and
stability gains are worth it (Not to mention that mail can now be
entirely handled on a machine which has _zero_ user shells on it, so can
be locked down that much tighter, security-wise...)