At 21:06 15.03.2003 -0600, you wrote:
>> during development of a pop3 tool I found an issue that makes it possible
>> for any user to check the validity of a user on a target system. If a user
>> is valid and an invalid password has been supplied, then the system waits
>> ~10 seconds until it sends a disconnect message and disconnect. If the
>> username was not correct, then it disconnect immediately after the wrong
>> password.

Is this really true? If so, I think it may be system dependent.

On our mailserver running qpopper 4.04 on RH Linux 7.1 with PAM
authentication, I don't see the claimed behavior.  The username/password
pair is submitted to PAM and if it fails there is the 10 second delay even
if the username was invalid.

hmmm...
our system (4.0.5 on linux) there is a 10 sec. delay before qpopper
tells "-ERR [AUTH] Pass...."
but then there is a second delay (approx. 10 sec.) if the username exists, before
qpopper quits the connection.
if the user does not exists, qpopper quits immediately after "-ERR [AUTH] Pass...."

M. Kellermann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

sk datentechnik GmbH
Stalleickenweg 5