Make sure you add a line to /etc/hosts.allow like this
popper: 192.168.0.15,192.168.0.21
etc...  xinetd is probably being run with a TCP wrapper and will only
allow connections from addresses listed in hosts.allow.

Also, you can check your logs for information by doing tail
/var/log/syslog immediately after you try to connect.  You can go back
more lines with tail -n where n is the number of lines back.  tail -f
will continuously update the output as more lines are written to log.

HTH

--
-chort