Um, when Solaris came out, we didn't touch it until 5.5.
Before then it was mostly beta quality code.

"5.5.1," our salesman boasted, "is as fast as 4.1.3 was."
(gee, and only 2 years wasted).

Might I just generally suggest 5.7 or 5.8?

Or what I did with my IPX:
  I put OpenBSD on it, kept SunOS libraries in /emul/svr4/lib/ and
run Solaris and SunOS binaries just fine, but with OpenBSD beneath
it.  (my Sparc 10 still runs BSD just fine, and it runs FrameMaker
for SunOS 4 when I have the patience to put a head on it.

You're running dangerous code, my friend.  An upgrade or replacement
with a Pentium 200 (free, often, and faster) could be considered.

Regarding POP, debug it first by hand, no fancy apps :)

telnet $MACHINE 110        # do you get a prompt?  Then qpopper is listening.
USER YourUserName
PASS  YourPassword         # now you've logged in.
RETR 1                     # Get message 1
QUIT

Quoting Varga Tamas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):