[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Paul,

We have 320k mailboxes, 4 dual xeon mailservers. the setup was
highly influenced by the requirement of redundancy, therefor we're
using multiple machines with a spool on NFS. at least 2 boxes
should be able to handle all the traffic, so i'm quite certain
there is an underlying problem which affects our performance.

The NFS connection is 100mbit FD for each box, the NAS itself
is 1Gbit FD. during business hours one box can easily get
to 30-40mbit/sec. resulting in 100-120mbit/sec of throughput
on the NAS.
You're considering maildir/nfs to be a potential slow down,
but i don't see it that way because disk I/O is usually the
bottleneck on smtp/pop servers. both ways have their advantages
and disadvantages.

Anyway, you seem to be doing pretty well with your single system,
but do you have any idea of the average size of the mailboxes
on your system and the percentage of active users?

bart