(Date/Time: 29/06/04 9:07 pm), Ladar Levison wrote:

> Howdy Qpopper List --
>
> I have a question that stems from my desire to integrate a Webmail
> system with my already up and running Qpopper 4.0.5 installation.
>
> Basically my concern is in regards to the Webmail system, and Qpopper
> cooperating nicely if both access the mbox file at the same time. I want
> to make sure someone doesn't log in through the webmail system, and
> Qpopper at the same time. Based on my reading of the source code
> documentation, Qpopper locks the Mailbox, then copies it to a temporary
> file. For the sake of this e-mail, I assume that temporary file is :
> /var/mail/.user.pop, (though I could be wrong). Qpopper then releases
> the lock on the Mailbox, and uses the .pop file for the session. When
> the session is over, the .pop file is copied back into the Mailbox.
>
> Is this correct? I have tried scanning the /proc/locks file for active
> locks, and I can't seem to find any. Perhaps because the files are
> copied, and released so quickly.
>
> Now while the session is going on, qpopper uses flock() to lock the .pop
> file. That way if the session doesn't end normally, the lock still
> exists until the timeout period is over (120 seconds).
>
> I presently use --keep-temp-drop, so every user does have a .pop file.
> Could I code my webmail client to lock the .pop file using flock, then
> flock the Mailbox file? Would this effectively keep the two from
> accessing the files at the same time?
>
> What if I just flock'ed the mbox file? The problem I see with that
> scenario is when someone is using pop, they might have all the active
> messages in the temp file, and there would be nothing for webmail system
> to read.
>
> Any suggestions? Any solutions?
>
> L~
>
> http://www.nerdshack.com/

Dear L~
I have just received my first message from the mailing list and it happened
to be yours.  While I have no idea of the answer to your question, I was
prompted to go to your website, where I saw the progress you are making with
your project to provide free e-mail, which I consider most commendable and
something I am trying to emulate, albeit on a MUCH smaller scale.

I have a Mac G4 with OSX 10.3.4, which allows me to run a web server (Apache
1.3.29) and various forms of mail server.  Built-in is the ipop3d POP
server, but it is configured (as far as I can tell) only to fetch mail for
the currently registered Users of the Mac (just the 2 of us).  As I want to
be able to allow certain users who would normally have no access to my
computer to collect mail - and this mail is in mailboxes under 2 separate
domain name locations - I am trying to find out how to achieve that.  For
example, how does one set up non-shell pop-only-access users?

Do you have any ideas - or does anyone else, for that matter?  Any pointers
to other documentation would be much appreciated.

Jan Cobb