From: James Sneeringer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:02 PM
To: Subscribers of Qpopper
Subject: Re: Qpopper .username.cache problem

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 04:24:10PM +0700, Siriporn Hayuk wrote:
>   # quota -vg 6
> Cannot use this command.
> quota: illegal option -- g
> quota: ?: unknown option
> ufs usage: quota [-v] [username]

Well I guess group quotas aren't the problem.

> We expect that .username.cache files should have a schedule to
cleanup?
> Nowadays, these files are growth rapidly. We have to set crontab to
> delete only .username.cache every minutes.

The .username.cache file should be cleaned up every time a user checks
mail.  Information about new messages is added to the cache file, and
information about deleted messages is removed.  All it does is cache
information about the messages in the user's mailbox.  Its purpose is to

allow Qpopper to check for new mail without creating a .username.pop
file
in some instances.

If you delete the .username.cache file, Qpopper will just recreate it
the
next time the user checks for new mail.  The cache file should not grow
very quickly unless you have users who receive a large amount of mail
and
do not remove it from the server after downloading it.

> The .username.pop also growth too but it's still work normally.

The .username.pop file should not grow.  It should only contain data
while
the user is checking mail.  Once they disconnect, Qpopper is supposed to

remove it (or zero it out if keep-temp-drop is turned on).

> Now even we have a little .username.cache files, we still encounter
the
> problem that all users always prompt for password and cannot get mail.
> I've to delete all of .username.pop files, then it's OK. :-(

I've noticed you keep the .username.pop (and .username.cache?) files on
the same filesystem as your mail spool, /var/mail.  This will cause
problems for you.  For example, if user "james" has a quota of 5 MB and
mailbox of 3 MB, he will be unable to check his mail, because Qpopper
will
want to create a /var/mail/poptemp/.james.pop file that is a duplicate
of
/var/mail/james (3+3=6), and quota will be exceeded.  I don't know if
Qpopper will recover from this error gracefully, so perhaps when it
happens to your users, Qpopper leave a stale 2-3 MB
/var/mail/popdrop/.james.pop, which causes them to reach their quota.

In general, if you are using quotas, each user needs to be able to use
double the quota you give them.  This is because Qpopper sometimes
creates
temporary files that must exist at the same time at their real spool
file,
even if only for a few seconds.

We solved this by putting the temp/cache files on a separate filesystem.

Even with quota enabled on /var/mail, users can check their mail even
when
they are very close to their quota.

-James