I have seen similar questions in the archive dating back to '02 but with no
conclusive resolution (to my knowledge). So I am hoping I can explain my
situation here and get some good feedback.

System:
P3-550Mhz-512MB-(2)9GB SCSI
FreeBSD 4.7 Release
Sendmail Version 8.12.10
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF USERDB
                XDEBUG
SpamAssassin Version 2.63 [with Razor2]
Qpopper Version 4.0.5 [upgraded from 2.53 recently]
client s/w: Windows2000/Outlook2000
  and others with a mix of Outlook 2002/3 and Windows2000/xp
No. Users: 30 In house / 20 Remote (but only 5 ppl have reported issue)

Problem:

This has seemed to have started occurring 2 Months ago (aprox. Early June).
This *only* happens to our remote clients. When they are checking email from
either Home/office (cable modem) or Hotel (dial-up) the Outlook download
seems to stall. Depending on Version of Outlook, it will stall at a certain
number of the total downloadable emails (eg. 22 of 55). There seems to be a
correlation with an attachment to an email (but less than 500Kb sometimes as
small as 45k). The clients have waited (in one case 2 hours) and Outlook
never completed the download or timed out.

What I usually did in this case (or when there was a large attachment in a
remote client's mailbox) was to Delete the email with the attachment
(forward or delete if spam). This seemed to work for most situations. Others
it did not. I always would notice that there would be the 22 (of 55) emails
still on the server. And if I deleted those it usually resolved the issue.

I have upgraded Qpopper from 2.53 to the current 4.0.5 version. And this
didn't seem to resolve the issue. (actually it effected anyone who was
keeping email on the server - but that is another issue) I have also set a
few users in 'Server mode' to see if this was an issue and I  have
recompiled Qpopper with the Chunky setting. Yes, I am starting to think this
is not Qpopper at all but I just have to ask this list for clarification.

To add to the issue this only seems to affect the companies owner (travels a
lot) and a few clients (we host a couple domains). So getting support calls
a couple times a week at all hours isn't that fun. :)

I am also starting to point my finger at a possible Windows Update (not sure
which yet) since this sounds like a client side issue. But our Owner is
convinced it is 'my server' and that I 'changed something' because it worked
prior to June. (note. there has been no updated to that server beside I
trained SpamAssassin one time.)

I would appreciate any help/thoughts that anyone may have.

Thank you in advance,
Derek Osachoff