> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:27 -0500, David Champion wrote to John Hammond:
>
> > * On 2004.08.05, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > *   "John Hammond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> is there a way from the headers in the mailspool to see whether a message
> >> as been read or not?
> >
> > For UNIX v7 ("mbox") mail files, if it has a Status: header, it's been
> > read.
>
> That depends on what you mean by "read".  Presence of a "Status:" header
> simply means it has been seen by mail client software.  In the context of
> qpopper, it means it has been uploaded to the mailbox owner's POP3 client
> software.  It doesn't mean he/she has actually read it.

The question that I (and I think the original poster) would like answered
(and maybe it has) is:
 Is there a way to tell if a message in the mail spool has been 'completely
 downloaded' by the user. In the context of the answers given (thanks, btw)
 does qpopper write that 'Status' header after the message has been
 successfully downloaded?
As Chip points out, we can't tell if they have read it or even if they
can read!
The qpopper log file, of course merely shows (in summary) that messages
have been deleted or left on the server...

Kind regards, Peter Vaskess
Netlink Connect