At 06:18 PM 5/24/2005, Mike wrote:
Hi all,

I just came across this security advisory from Gentoo Linux today and was wondering whether these vulnerabilities affect the latest release (4.0.8) of Qpopper. This is the first time in a VERY long time that I've seen a security advisory affected Qpopper so kudos to the developers for that.

I've checked the changelog at ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/servers/unix/popper/Changes and didn't find any notes describing fixes of the vulnerabilities similar to those described in the security advisory below (not dropping privileges to process local files from normal users (CAN-2005-1151) and creating group or world writeable files (CAN-2005-1152).)

So,

1. Does Qpopper 4.0.8 from ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/servers/unix/popper/ have the vulnerabilities described in the Gentoo security advisory or is this a Gentoo-specific issue? 2. If not, how long before we can expect a new release to address the vulnerabilities below.

The issue was addressed in the recent releases (including 4.0.8). Unless you were using per-user config files ('set user-options' in a config file), no risk existed.